Q: What are Merry Heart Children's Camp camper acceptance guidelines?
A: Merry Heart Children Camp is a place specifically for youth with heart conditions. We do not accept or decline any youth over the phone or via e-mail. These guidelines are intended to help you as a parent/guardian determine if you should submit an online application. Please contact us if you have questions prior to submitting an application.
In order to have an application reviewed by our medical committee, the youth must meet the following criteria:
- Heart conditions must be the primary health concern of the youth.
- The youth has a basic knowledge of their heart condition
- Be able to walk without any physical limitations.
- The youth must independently manage their daily routine.
- Be self-reliant in caring for hygiene, toileting and eating needs.
- A pediatric cardiologist and/or primary care provider must see the youth on a regular basis.
- The youth needs to have been seen by their pediatric cardiologist within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but no later than May 31.
- If your youth is not seen on an annual base, than your primary care provider will need to see your child within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but not later than May 31.
- The youth has the ability to participate and engage in team-based activities.
- The youth demonstrates nonviolent behavior, follow the rules, i.e. staying with buddy/group leaders at all times.
- Be able to stay overnight for four nights.
If the youth has any other illnesses, disabilities (physical or developmental), or other health problems, Merry Heart Children's Camp will review those files on an individual basis and determine if the youth will be accepted to camp. If you have questions, please contact us.
Q: What if my youth cannot or chooses not to participate in some of the camp activities?
A: Our staff understands and respects the difference in each youth. We try to make every activity available at many different levels, and hope your youth will choose a level of participation in which they are comfortable.
Q: As a parent of camper, how can I volunteer?
A: Volunteers are the heart of our program. Although we do not allow parents of campers to volunteer as camp staff during the same week of camp their youth is attending, we have many opportunities for parents to volunteer throughout the year, helping us with events, fundraising and camp program development.
Please contact us with any questions about volunteering.
Q: What is the goal of a Merry Heart Children's Camp experience?
A: At Merry Heart Children's Camp, we strive for the following goals and outcomes for campers:
- Increase acceptance of themselves and others.
- Develop and improve friendship skills.
- Become responsibly engaged through being a team player as a part of cabin group.
- Gain a greater sense of independence through being away from home and unplugged.
Please contact us with any questions.