Q: What are Merry Heart Children's Camp camper acceptance guidelines?
A: Merry Heart Children Camp is a place specifically for children with heart conditions. Although we do not accept or decline any campers over the phone or via e-mail, these guidelines are intended to help you as a parent/guardian determine if you should submit an online application. Please contact us if you have questions prior to submitting an application.
In order to have an application reviewed by our medical committee, the child must meet the following criteria:
- Heart conditions must be the primary health concern of the child.
- The child has a basic knowledge of their heart condition.
- Be able to walk without any physical limitations.
- The child must independently manage their daily routine.
- Be self-reliant in caring for hygiene, toileting and eating needs.
- A pediatric cardiologist on a regular basis must see your child.
- Your child needs to have been seen by their pediatric cardiologist within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but not later than May 31.
- If your child is not seen on an annual base, than your primary care physician will need to see your child within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but not later than May 31.
- The child has the ability to participate and engage in team-based activities.
- The child demonstrates nonviolent behavior, follow the rules, i.e. staying with buddy/group leaders at all times.
- Be able to stay overnight for four nights.
If the child has any other illnesses, disabilities (physical or developmental), or other health problems, Merry Heart Children's Camp will review those files on an individual basis and determine if the child will be accepted to camp. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Q: What if my child cannot or chooses not to participate in some of the camp activities?
A: Our staff understands and respects the difference in each child. We try to make every activity available at many different levels, and hope your child will choose a level of participation in which they are comfortable.
Q: As a parent of camper, how can I volunteer?
A: Volunteers are the heart of our program. Although we do not allow parents of campers to volunteer as camp staff during the same week of camp their child is attending, we have many opportunities for parents to volunteer throughout the year, helping us with events, fundraising and camp program development.
Please contact us with any questions about volunteering.
Q: What is the goal of a Merry Heart Children's Camp experience?
A: At Merry Heart Children's Camp, we strive for the following goals and outcomes for campers:
- Increase acceptance of themselves and others.
- Develop and improve friendship skills.
- Become responsibly engaged through being a team player as a part of cabin group.
- Gain a greater sense of independence through being away from home and unplugged.
Please contact us with any questions.