2018 Summer Camp Dates is
August 19th to 23th.
Become a Counselor In Training (CIT)
Thank you for showing interest in our Counselor-In-Training program. Any CIT, 15 to 17 years of age (prior to August 20, 2017), with heart conditions can attend our five-day, four-night camp upon recommendation from their pediatric cardiologist and approval by Merry Heart Children's Camp CIT and Medical Committees. The executive / camp director and your child's pediatric cardiologist can help you assess if you should apply to attend camp.
The goal of this program is to provide interested teens an opportunity to:
- Develop leadership skills in a comfortable atmosphere,
- Provide continued connection with MHCC who have aged out of the camper role but are too young to volunteer at camp in another capacity, and
- Provide additional support for campers and staff.
The program is designed to give CITs a base of understanding about youth, leadership, health and safety, and program planning. Led by the CIT Director, CITs work as a team, in small groups, and individually to learn about aspects of working with young children in a camp environment. CITs are also provided with opportunities to plan activities and practice skills while interacting directly with younger campers under the supervision of the CIT Director. Regular goal setting, assessment, and evaluation are essential components throughout the program.
This program promises to be both challenging and fun. To be accepted into the program, we will need the following items:
- CIT Online Application.
- Photo in Online Application profile.
- Two (2) completed reference forms.
- Telephone, Skype or in-person interview.
- Complete required pre-camp training, August 12, 2017.
Camp life can be very demanding but also rewarding when you see how much you can impact the life of a child. If you believe you are up to the challenge we look forward to hearing from you. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at (971) 228-9074, email at email@example.com.
CIT Acceptance Guidelines
Merry Heart Children Camp is a place specifically for children with heart conditions. We do not accept or decline any CITs over the phone or via e-mail. These guidelines below are intended to help you and your parent/guardian determine if you need to submit an online application. Please contact us if you have questions prior to submitting an application.
In order to have an application reviewed by our CIT and medical committees, the CIT must meet the following criteria:
Heart conditions must be the primary health concern of the CIT.
- The CIT has a basic knowledge of their heart condition.
- Be able to walk without any physical limitations.
- The CIT must independently manage their daily routine.
- Be self-reliant in caring for hygiene, toileting and eating needs.
- A pediatric cardiologist on a regular basis must see CIT.
- The CIT needs to have been seen by their pediatric cardiologist within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but no later than May 31st.
- If the CIT is not seen on an annual base, than the primary care physician will need to see the CIT within twelve (12) months prior to the start of camp but no later than May 31st.
- The CIT has the ability to participate and engage in team-based activities.
- The CIT demonstrates nonviolent behavior, follow the rules, i.e. lead the group with the help of the adult counselors.
If the CIT has any other illnesses, disabilities (physical or developmental), or other health problems, Merry Heart Children's Camp will review those files on an individual basis and determine if the CIT will be accepted to camp.
We have high expectations for the CITs. Please read and consider the following before submitting this application:
- We have reserved six slots (3 – males and 3 – females) for CITs who truly show leadership potential and have a desire to excel in the camp setting. This is demonstrated through previous summer experience and performance (if applicable), the application, and a formal interview.
- All communications and forms should be the work of the CIT applicant.
- If you are unable to find information that is needed on the application, patients/guardians can assist you.
- There are a limited number of spots (6 total) in the CIT program.
- Submission of an application does not indicate an acceptance into the CIT program.
- Application deadline, telephone interview and submission of all required information will need to be completed by June 21, 2017.